Our school just purchased a site license for Screencastify and I couldn’t be more excited about the applications for both teachers and students alike. For me, flipping a classroom is at the top of the list.
But there are many other benefits as well with screencasting.
- Staff and students can use (with our site license; free versions are available for all as well);
- Easy to create screencasts or videos;
- Can share videos to Google Drive, YouTube, and Google Classroom;
- Can export videos and import them into Premiere, iMovie, or other video editing applications;
- Can edit & annotate within the program;
- Only need a laptop with a webcam and an Internet connection;
- Can embed the webcam into the video or record without it;
- Have your videos available 24/7;
- Students can watch, rewind, fast forward, re-watch again and again unit they understand the concept.
Uses in the Classroom (Teachers)
- Answer student questions;
- Demo how to use applications;
- Record lectures;
- Give verbal feedback to students;
- Record lesson plans for substitute teachers;
- Add explanations to your slideshows;
- Build a library or knowledge base of important skills;
- Assess oral fluency;
- Record your class;
- Record your classes for students who are absent;
- GREAT to help you flip your class;
- Create review lessons;
- Create virtual tours in Google Maps;
- Create lessons to help fill in those gaps;
- Give students another option for assignments (show their learning in a different way).
- Rehearse presentations;
- Speed up the video and watch at 1.5x or 2.0x (save time);
- Use when you’re leading an activity or a sport;
- Ask your teacher a question;
- Submit a video when you’re given a choice on a format (written, oral, video);
- Demonstrate your learning orally.
Tips for Recording Screencasts
My first attempt at a screencast took 1 hour longer than I anticipated and dozens of extra takes.
- Plan ahead (I had to create a script for my 1st screencast);
- Record in quiet;
- Relax – you can take as many takes as you want;
- Always remember you can edit out pauses or other mistakes;
- Check the background – that gets recorded too!;
- Respect copyrights;
- Look at the camera;
- Review and edit before posting;
- Be efficient with your time – @6 minutes is ideal;
Alternatives to Screencastify